Welcome to Twin Oak Free Will Baptist Church!
The History of Twin Oak
Inception-1940
In the summer and fall of 1932, a Brush Arbor was built just a few hundred yards up the road, and a revival meeting was started. The Rev. J.L. Yancey brought the church into organization, with three ministers present for the organization: Rev. Willard Darnell, Rev. J. Henderson, and Rev. J.L. Yancey. Three deacons were present from the Fredericktown Free Will Baptist Church: Bro. Gus Pirtle, Bro. E.D. Whitledge, and Bro. Hank Roseberry. The officers chosen for the newly organized church were Sis. Serene Miller, clerk; Sis. C.H. Lee, treasurer; Ed Clouse, deacon; Charles Martin, deacon; and Roy Frazier, deacon. Trustees chosen at the meeting were C.H. Lee, W.H. Tinsley, and Roe Miller. Charter members were Ed Clouse, Charles Martin, Henry Martin, C.H. Lee, Roe Frazie, W.H. Tinsley, Roe Miller, Mary Clouse, Dorothy Clouse, Dulcie Lee, Oma Frazier, Matilda Tinkley, Serena Miller, and Emma Martin. Rev. Yancey was then elected as pastor and served from 1933-1940.
1940-1957
In 1940, Rev. Albert Halbrook was called as pastor and left in July 1941. Rev. Woodrow Matthews was called as pastor from 1942-1943. Rev. Yancey was called as pastor again in 1943. In September 1943, Bro. Matthews was again called as pastor and served until July 1947. Rev. O.D. Matthews was called to pastor from July 1947 to July 1952. In 1953 Rev. Clarence Elders filled in as pastor until July 1954 when Rev. Willard Darnell was called as pastor and served until July 1957. During Rev. Darnell's ministry, the present building was started in the fall of 1957. The first service in the new building was held in December 1955.
1957-Present
In August 1957, Rev. Truman Huffman was called as pastor and served until May 1, 1968. Rev. Earl Ames was called as pastor from July 1968 to July 1971. In July of 1971, Rev. Truman Huffman was again called and served until 1983. Rev. Bob Thebeau was called to pastor in June 1983 and served until August 23, 1992. Rev. Raymond Michael was called to pastor on October 16, 1992, and served until November of 2020. Currently our Pastor is Tim Reed, who was called to preach in 2021.Â
During the early years of the church, there were many hard struggles and some dark days, but by the faith of its members and pastors, Twin Oak has remained open. Through prayer God has blessed and prospered the church and its members. We as a congregation are ready to see what the future holds in store for our church.